Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Family Affair – Sharing the joy of sponsorship together

Here is the article that will be posted on the CI web-site in a couple of weeks:


I have been a sponsor with Children International for a year-and-a-half-now. I started with only two children, but, little by little, as I grew closer to each child, I added to my sponsor family. I never knew how much my enthusiasm for sponsorship would rub off on my own young daughters.

At one-and-a-half, Morgan, the younger of my two daughters, does not yet fully understand what sponsorship means. Fortunately, she likes to imitate her big sister, who sets an excellent example of the personal joy that comes from showing compassion for others. Morgan knows all of our sponsored kids by name when she sees the photos, which is quite an accomplishment considering there are nine names to remember!

Jaden, my 4-year-old daughter, first showed interest in sponsorship when she saw the pictures of the kids. She naturally asked me who they were, but her curiosity did not end there. Jaden continues to be fascinated by my "other" children, and badgers me with questions about their parents, if they have siblings, and where they live.

When our sponsored family reached nine kids, I had to come up with another way to answer Jaden’s persistent questions. I put together a small photo album featuring all of the children. When my daughter opens the album, there is a child’s picture on one side and information about them on the opposing page. That way, I can easily answer any of the questions she has by looking at the information page.

I only intended the album to be used for that purpose, but Jaden had a better idea. She carries the photo album with her everywhere! She stops friends and family to show them her album. When she flips through the album, though she can’t read, she can tell people each child’s name, plus a little about him or her, from memory. She calls them “her sponsor kids.”

One day, Jaden and I were sitting at the computer watching all of the Children International YouTube videos. Jaden never ceases to amaze me. She watched the videos with intensity and caught everything that was happening in the different programs. She noticed details in the videos that even I didn’t see. When she saw things that she thought weren’t right, she would ask me why. For example, Jaden once asked, "Why doesn't that girl have shoes on?"

When I explained that their mommies and daddies don’t have enough money to buy them shoes, she questioned, "Does Henry and Katherine (two of our sponsored children) and the other kids have shoes?"

I told her that I wasn't sure, but it was possible that they did not. Jaden's simple reply was, "Then let's send them shoes!" Similar conversations occurred for sinks, water, toilets, houses, clothes, dishes, beds, etc. My daughter's response was always, "Well, then let's send them some!"

After we were finished watching the videos, Jaden asked why the children were so sad. I explained, "Because they are hungry and dying."

She said, "Well, let's go there and help them. Come on, Mom!!!"

I told her that we couldn't go immediately. When Jaden asked me, "why not," I replied, "because it costs a lot of money to go there."

That wasn't a good answer for her, of course. Her response was, "Mom, do you have ANY money? Because I have $1. So, let's go!!"

Jaden may only be 4 years old, but she is more empathetic than most grown people. She saw the children in the videos lying on the dirt floor. She asked me why because “they would get dirty.” I went on to explain that a bed is a luxury that not everyone can afford. Some children sleep on the dirt floor because they have nothing else to sleep on. This revelation was heartbreaking to her.

We have four sponsored children that are suffering with a virus that is deeply affected by the quality of their living conditions. If they do not keep up a healthy environment (including a good night’s sleep), they risk their life by compromising their immune systems. Jaden has decided that she is going to find a way to help at least three of the sick children get the beds that they so desperately need. She has started collecting money in a jar with the change that friends and relatives have given her. Her goal is to raise $504 to buy the three beds. She has raised $25.71 so far!

After she hits the goal of $504, she has more plans for the change (including more beds). She will continue to collect and give, and I am so excited for her to be able to see the fruits of her labor. When we eventually get pictures of three smiling children with their new beds, my daughter will know that even a 4-year-old child can change the lives of others!

No comments: