Friday, October 29, 2010

Update on Leydi

Some of you may remember we had a fundraiser for Leydi's birthday. She is suffering from a life-threatening illness, so it was a very important fundraiser. Leydi was able to get a birthday party, hosted by Barbara as well as many other things (that will be posted later). This was her first birthday party, even though she was turning 9 years old. Little did I know at the time just how important this event would be for her.

Shortly after her party, Leydi's last surviving parent, her father, passed away =( It was even more permanent in my mind and heart-breaking when I opened up her child report that used to show her father's occupation- it now shows deceased.

Oddly enough, my father passed away when I was 9 years old as well. I remember the devastation I felt. It was horrible! So, I can completely put myself in her shoes... But, I don't know what I can tell her to comfort her =( Any ideas?

One last after thought... Leydi's grandmother traveled from Haiti for the funeral. She wanted to take Leydi and her sister back with her to Haiti. Luckily, Leydi's step-mother was able to convince her that the girls would get more opportunities if they stay where they are. Whew!

Here is the latest child report I received for Leydi:

Age: 9 Sex: F Date of Birth: 6/1/2001
Height: 4 Feet 2 Inches Weight: 64 Pounds Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Black
2. Attends School: Yes
3. Favorite School Subjects: Art, Mathematics
Favorite Pastimes: Playing with dolls
Chores at Home: Running errands
Talents or Hobbies: Dancing
Languages Spoken: Spanish

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S FAMILY:
4. Approximate monthly income for the family (in U.S. Dollars): $65.00
5. Name of Father: Alberto Occupation:
(If not present, why?) Deceased
6. Name of Mother: Ociani Occupation: Homemaker
(If not present, why?) Deceased
7. Brothers and Sisters:
Name: Chaline Age: 14 Sex: F
8. Child lives with: Relatives

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S HOME:
9. Description of Home: Two bedrooms
Construction: Walls: Concrete block Roof: Corrugated metal Floor: Concrete
Cooking Facilities: Gas Stove
Sleeping Accommodations: Beds
10. Facilities and Services:
Water Source: Community faucets
Electricity: Available
Sanitary Facility: Toilet

1 comment:

Neuilly said...

How tragic, I'm sorry to hear the news. I'm glad though that she's able to stay in the DR and remain being sponsored.