Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mack's 2010 Trip #2.2 – Nicty Meets a Friendly Ghost




Pst by Mack:

When we arrived at the house, I was pleased to discover that Nicty has a very decent place to live (by Guatemalan standards). Her home is in a small, enclosed compound that accommodates six families (all or mostly relatives, I believe). Each family has a single-room house, and they all share a communal kitchen, bathroom, and medium-sized courtyard. Nicty's small home contains a mirrored dresser, a table, and two beds – more than adequate for a family of four (again, by Guatemalan standards). I'm glad that Nicty has a safe, dry place to live, with plenty of cousins and other kids on hand to play with!

Inside the house, I unloaded the gifts that I'd brought for Nicty and her siblings. Heidy was most excited about the wrist watch I gave her, and Nicty loved her Minnie Mouse doll. I didn't have much for Brian, as I was unaware of his actual age when I packed, but he was perfectly happy to take possession of the candy I'd given to his big sisters, trying in vain to rip open the bag with his teeth. Another jealousy issue arose when Nicty decided that she was the rightful owner of the lip gloss set that I had brought for Heidy. She didn't throw a tantrum, but simply clutched the package to her chest and smiled sweetly as she refused to relinquish the lip gloss back to her big sister. I can only assume that the two of them worked it out later.

After the gift distribution, Sam and I stepped outside so that Nicty could try on the clothes I brought her and pick which ones to wear on our shopping expedition. This gave me time to pass out lollypops to the other little children in Nicty's community. Whenever you visit a sponsored child, it helps to come bearing candy – there are always lots of other kids around!

To be continued …

No comments: