Friday, June 25, 2010

DR Birthday Party x 3 Part 2





Post by Barbara regarding her trip to the Dominican Republic in which she threw ar birthday party for her sponsor child Crismairy and my two sponsor children Dulce and Leydi:

Now, the three birthday girls met each other for the first time and I
led them to their special table as the CI staff organized the rest of
the party group in their own places at the long table. During all
this action we, adults were taking numerous photos of the birthday
girls, their guest and even of each other as we became quite giddy
after all the last minute rush to get things ready. Yolanda took
great delight in acting up, taking unflattering photos of me bending
over to hug the birthday girls and pulling a birthday hat down over
my eyes, etc., In fact, we were having more fun than the subdued
children sitting demurely in their places watching our actions in
subdued amazement. They were also probably still over-awed by their
first sit-down party. They were encouraged to put on their own party
hats and the three Princesses were given their birthday tiara and boas
to wear and soon they all got into the party spirit as well. Mona
came up to ask if was happy with everything which, of course, I was
now. She added that I must be used to giving such parties every year
and did not seem to believe me when I replies that this was the first
time. The only other party I had given was for Miguel in Mexico which
was a much, smaller family affair.

After a while I asked why the snacks were not being served? The replt
was that they were waiting for the lady bringing the music and video
recorder! But, as the children were getting restive I requested that
they be served now which they were and in the midst of the kids
munching on crisps and crackers, she arrived bringing with her a large
video camera and boom-box like radio which she immediately turned on
FULL BLAST!! I soon asked it to be turned down so that we could hear
each other talk which she did - regretfully but began filming the now,
more relaxed party goers. Next their were requests from the guests
for something to drink. When I asked if that would be possible the
answer was that they were waiting for the ice to arrive which it did
after the children began leaving the table. Then, there was a further
delay while waiting for the bottles to be cooled down in the ice. It
was probably just as well that the drinks had not been served earlier
as I was soon surrounded by little people with tiny bladders needing
to use a bathroom; but, when I led them "Pied Piper like" to the
toilets it was to find them locked and the staff member with the key
was not there!! These glitches were probably caused by things not
being set up in the as yet unopended new centre with everything having
to brought in amongst all the other deliveries for the future
opening. But keeping the toilets locked during a children's birthday
party? - Manana!!,

No comments: