Monday, September 14, 2009

A Trip Around the World







I told everyone a while back that I would update you on how I am teaching my girls about other countries and cultures. I have incorporated it into their home school, so every unit comes with a country of focus. There, of course, is tons of info about countries on the web, but to make it easier (and LESS time-consuming), I purchased the book "A Trip Around the World" (the publisher is Carson Dellosa). The next 2 books in the series are "Another Trip Around the World" and "A New Trip Around the World" (found here: http://teacher-supplies.carsondellosa.com/search?w=trip%20around%20the%20world )

This is what the web-site says for the book we are using now:

Teach your class about the geography, history, and culture of Canada, Mexico, Kenya, Japan, Australia, Germany, Egypt, The Netherlands, Brazil, China, Saudi Arabia, and the United States using art projects, maps, flags, language studies, and more.

Then, I went to the web-site for My Father's World Curriculum, and I picked up two blank passports, country flag stickers, and a wall map of the world. You can, also, get the Trip Around the World Books from My Father's World: http://www.mfwbooks.com/ecc_2nd.htm

Jaden and Morgan studied Mexico first because that just so happens to be the first country in the first book.

We made our own tortillas

Talked about the Spanish words for numbers 1-10, colors, days of the week and greetings

Colored the Mexican flag

And made replicas of the "adobe" houses

Yes, it is very basic stuff, but learning about the country and culture is awesome, especially when you have a sponsor child who lives there!!!

Next on my list to do before the end of the year: renew my passport and get Jaden and Morgan their first-ever passports!!

No comments: