Monday, May 11, 2009

Meet Jim's 'other' sponsored children‏




DON'T LAUGH - IT'S THE CHRISTIAN WAY TO STAND
Hi, everybody - Mack here. I know this blog is just for Children International, but I wanted to introduce the kids that my parents sponsor through a different organization, because I get a kick out of the photographs they (very occasionally) send us!
This "Other" organization is one of those ultra-religious ones. I have nothing but respect for religion, but - as others have complained - they seem to be cramming the Bible down these kids throats. It's boring to get letters that are nothing but a litany of the religious classes the child attends and a report on how much time he/she spends reading The Good Book. At least my parents never receive letters that list out the items from packages, because they aren't allowed to send packages!
The thing I love is how the children are always standing at attention in their photos, like little soldiers in the Lord's army. Who decided to make this posture the policy for every single country?
Anyhow, my parents have been sponsoring through this organization since I was a child myself. They have run through a large number of kiddies over the years, in addition to contributing to the general fund each month.
Their current three kids are:
Millizcen from Guatemala - she will be 13 next month, but we have not received a letter for some time, and her information has not been updated in two years. Her online profile says she's in the 4th grade.
M. Jennifer from India - she just turned 7, but writes cursive English far more elegantly than I do!
Sarawat (Jo) from Thailand - he will be 11 this July (I think our photo is outdated?). Jo is my favorite, because he includes interesting details in his letters, such as "It is foggy here. I cannot see the road when I ride my bicycle to school because I wear the glasses."

No comments: