Thursday, July 30, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Yessica

One of the many pretty pictures that Yessica has drawn for me
Yessica and her family in front of their home

Yessica in the doorway of her home in Guatemala City
Yessica and her family. Her father was at work at the time of the photo.
Yessica with her 2008 Christmas package
The first photo I saw of Yessica on the CI website. I chose her because of her sweet smile & that her family of 6 was living on $76 a month!!
Yessica's 2009 sponsorship photo
Two of the many photos that Steve took of Yessica when he visited her earlier this year

Yessica and her mother

Steve (our Google Group angel that visited several sponsored children along with his own in Guatemala), Yessica, & Yessica's mother

I haven't heard from Yessica in a while. Her last letter was in May. This is what it said:

Dear Heather:

I thank you for the letter and three pictures that you sent me. I am very happy with all that you have sent me. I feel very happy that you work in the hospital, and I like the babies. I pray that God allows you to go on with your work. My family and I are fine, and so is my education. I am fine thanks to the support that you send me. I will have time off at school soon. I say goodbye with a strong hug.

Yessica

Yesterday, I went to my CI account to see what I owe & figure out how much I can pay. I found an exclamation point next to her name, and I followed the exclamation point to the bottom of my sponsorship list. This is what I found:

(!) Forming a friendship with your sponsored child can be one of the most rewarding experiences of sponsorship. Unfortunately, there are times when children leave the program earlier than expected.

We just learned that your child has left the program due to unforeseen circumstances. A letter with details about this is already on the way and should reach you soon.

For your consideration, we've also sent you a photograph and personal profile of another child who needs your assistance. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or would like to choose a different child to sponsor. Your sponsorship means a great deal to us. but it means even more to the desperately poor children whose lives can drastically change with your support. You can reach us by calling 1-800-888-3089 or sending an email to children@children.org. Our Sponsor Services department is available from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Central time, Monday through Thursday and 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Friday.

For more information about why sponsored children leave the program, visit the Child Departures section of our website.

If I had to take a guess I would say that she left the program because the family doesn't need the services any more. When I first started sponsoring her, the family of six lived on $76 a month. More recently, they were making $234 a month. They turned out to be the family with the highest income of all of my sponsor kids.

I had just sent her a birthday package a couple of months ago for her birthday that is August 8th. Now, I am not sure if she will ever get it. I am not sure when exactly she left the program.

I hope this doesn't happen any time soon to any of my other kids!! I can't take too much heartbreak at one time!

No comments: