Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lift One Food Baskets

First, I logged in to my account today & found an updated photo of Mwanza!!! I am so happy to have this one! His last picture (which was his first sponsorship picture) was not so great. As you may remember one year ago, Mwanza and his brothers and sisters were featured on CI's blog. All five of them were barely getting by on an income of $5 a month!!!! Their parents had passed away, and they were living alone. Their only income was from when the boys would go into the city to beg for money. Understandably, his first picture was not the best. He looked worn out and as if he was trying to smile, even though he didn't feel like it. Now, all of the pictures I have received from the packages I have sent have had this sweet smile above. I am so proud of him that he is now back in school, and has a chance at a good life. He and his family received a small donation from Children International from doing a commercial with Marsha from the Brady Bunch. They have all received beds from Ms. McCormick (Marsha on the Brady Bunch) as well. Dana, the sponsor of the youngest boy in the family named Lovemore, sent the family a monetary donation. They purchased a lot of food with it.
Then, more recently, CI featured a challenge to current sponsors. They wanted us to help find sponsors for the children that are waiting. It was a "Lift One" project. In exchange for finding sponsors, our sponsored children would receive a $50 food basket!!! Well, I had several people respond and take on waiting children for me!! In exchange, all of my 9 children received food baskets in February!!! I have received thank you cards from 8 of them. The only one I am still waiting to hear from is Mwanza. Since Mwanza is in Zambia, it will probably take longer to get his thank you card. Anyway, since some of you helped me to reach my goal of placing waiting children, I wanted to let you know what food items my children's families received. Here is the list:
1 sack of rice
1 bag of powdered milk
1 bag of oats
2 bags of beans
1 gallon of cooking oil
1 box of corn flakes
1 bag of sugar
1 bag of pasta
1 pack of cookies
1 box of Jell-o
1 can of tomato sauce
1 bar of soap
tuna
salt
flour
eggs
brown sugar
coffee
chocolate
chicken
sausage
and
seasonings

Thank you to everyone who helped!!! All of the families were extremely grateful.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's so awesome! I personally feel pretty discouraged about getting others to become sponsors. I never seem to be able to convince anyone. I think it has to so with the economic demographic I live in - so frustrating!!

Anonymous said...

So far, I've been able to recruit one person to the cause, but she didn't sponsor her child through LiftOne! Nonetheless, there's one less child waiting for a sponsor.