Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Please Help Janet with only $43 more to go!!!




Janet in Zambia almost has all of the money needed for her to start school May 1st. It is very exciting to see so many people move to help out!
Today, I wanted to remind everyone about the fundraiser that only needs $43 more to be complete.
http://www.firstgiving.com/givelove
I hope you can enjoy these pictures and videos of East African dancers. I was very fortunate to see them dance last year not that far from my home. At the time, I was taking care of 3 Kenyan children, and I wanted them to see some of their heritage as well. I have learned a lot during that time regarding Africa. It's weird to me that it was never taught in school. I was mostly clueless about Africa as a whole, but thanks to my Kenyan friends I know a little more. I want to share some of it, for those of you who, also, did not learn much about Africa in school.

1. I have heard sponsor's question why the Zambian children have English names. The other question is that if the child is listed as speaking Nyanja or Tonga, will the letters need to be translated. You may be surprised to learn that English is the national language of Zambia! This means that children are taught English in school, and the language is used by Zambian's country wide. Hence, the reason they have English names. Unlike Western Africa, Most of Eastern Africa (including Kenya & Zambia) was originally occupied by the British.

2. Why does the child's report list Nyanja, Tonga, or other languages? Because each child comes from a tribe. The tribe depends on their parents. If their mother and father are both from the Tonga people (AKA Batongo), the language the child would speak is Tonga. Sometime, the parents come from two different tribes, and therefore, the child will speak two different tribal languages (plus, also, speak English).

3. Based on United Nations statistics, about 68% of Zambians live below the poverty line!

(I have been having problems with blogger all day. I was not able to upload the videos, but will add them to the post later. In the meantime, you can find them on my other blog: http://ilovemykids08.blogspot.com/2008/06/drums-of-world-continued.html )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching your goal!