Friday, April 3, 2009

Meet Victor's 2nd sponsored child Axel!


Victor's Second Child, Axel
I started sponsoring Axel in June 2008 after losing a child to a miscarriage. It seemed like a good response to what was otherwise a rather upsetting event. I didn't care about age that time - just searched Honduras/Male and saw what that brought up. He was on the first page, but I went through the entire list before I went with my gut and picked him. It's always a bit of an odd feeling when you pick one - you want to pick them all, of course, and I sometimes feel bad for the ones I don't choose but you can only do so much. The fact that Axel was being raised by a youngish single mother was part of the consideration, as I felt she probably really needed the help.

Axel and his family live in the hills overlooking the small city of El Progresso - a half-hour drive from San Pedro Sula. Their house is comprised of a concrete room perhaps 12 foot square which serves as sleeping quarters for Axel and his immediate family as well as their living room and an adjoining ramshackle tin structure which is where they cook and the extended family sleeps. As I have been sponsoring him for less than a year, the special gifts I have sent down have gone more on things such as a bed and fan for Axel rather than any home improvements. I never put conditions on what the family uses the money for - I feel they (with CI's guidance) are the best judges of what their most pressing needs are - but I hope that they are able to make some improvements over the next couple of years. The toilet and bathing area are both outdoors and seem reasonably hygienic if not ideal.

Axel just turned ten two months ago and his favorite subject is math. He's a tad short for his age, but not out of the norm and seems quite healthy in all respects. His mother and grandmother are both lovely people - very friendly and quite vocally appreciative of Axel being sponsored. Axel said twice in his first letters to me that he would like "to know me through a picture". I think he was quite pleased and surprised when I delivered the requested picture in person! His favorite futbol team is Olympia - one of the things I was able to buy for him was a team jersey so he can proudly show off his allegiance. He has one older brother and three sisters; one older and two younger. Overall, he is a very friendly and playful boy and I consider myself lucky to have him as one of my sponsored children.

Age: 10
Gender: M
Date of Birth: 2/26/1999
Height: 4 Feet 2 Inches
Weight: 59 Pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
2. Health problems, if any:
3. Attends School: Yes 4.
Favorite School Subjects: Grammar/Math
Favorite Pastimes or Sports: Playing with dolls
Chores at Home: Sweeping
Talents or Hobbies: Dancing
Languages Spoken: Spanish
INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S FAMILY:
5. Approximate monthly income for the family (in U.S. Dollars): $105.00
6. Name of Father: Desconocido Age: Occupation: (If not present, why?) Abandoned family
7. Name of Mother: Wendy Yamileth Age: 29 Occupation: Homemaker (If not present, why?)
8. Brothers and Sisters:
Name Sayda Julissa Age 11 Gender F
Name Soreli Nicolle Age 7 Gender F
Name Wilson Jose Age 12 Gender M
9. Child now living with: Mother
INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S HOME:
10. Description of Home: One Bedroom, Living Room, Kitchen
Cooking Facilities: Earthen stove
Sleeping Accommodations: Folding beds
Home Construction: Walls Concrete block Roof Corrugated metal Floor Concrete
11. Facilities and Services: Water Source/Storage: Running water in home Electricity: Available
Sanitary Facility: Latrine

No comments: