Thursday, April 23, 2009

Victor and Mack's Trip to Honduras Part 6


(Bathroom)


(house pet)
CI Day, Part 6 – Wilson and Axel's Home:
Wilson’s family had the most primitive living arrangements of the three homes we visited, but they were the proudest, and most eager to show off their house. The home consisted of two one-room structures separated by a courtyard area containing a large wash basin – almost big enough to qualify as an outdoor pool!
The room furthest back seemed to be the primary living area, in which I counted three beds. Not enough, really, for so many people, but I don’t know where they would even put any more! I didn’t notice a whole lot about the inside of the home, so I hope Victor can supply better details in his comments. I do recall noting that “Axel’s bed” – the one Victor had sent money to buy – had a lot of girly toys along one side. Either the kid sleeps with his sisters, or he’s man enough not to be ashamed of playing with dolls!
I’m all about the animals, so what interested me the most about Wilson’s and Axel’s house was their pets. They have a very nice – if irritable – aquatic turtle, and also a pet bunny rabbit. There were chickens and a duck that wandered in and around the house, just as it should be with pets you probably intend to eat someday. You want to know where they’ve been!
Wilson’s grandmother was a very gracious host, and she insisted on cooking us up a batch of fish tamales. Unfortunately, we did not wish to spoil our appetites because taking the kids out to eat was one of the top things on our agenda. Also, we had spent more time at Axel and Wilson’s house than anywhere else, and we were anxious to get on with our expedition. The grandmother packaged up our tamales to go, and we took them along with us for later. Of course, they weren’t safe to eat for dinner after sweltering in the back of a hot SUV for six hours … but I had one that night, anyway, since Grandma had gone through so much trouble. It was pretty good!
Victor's Thoughts: Axel's mother told me that one bed was for Axel, one was for Wilson and that she and the three girls slept in the other. I'm sure that's not the case; it's probably that since a bed was one of the things Axel got from a special gift I sent down she was probably worried what I would think if he still had to share a bed. Of course I wouldn't care; I would only be upset if he still had to sleep on the floor or something. My guess is that Axel and Wilson are in one bed, the two older girls in the other and then the toddler with Mom.
I had given Axel a picture of myself in a frame, and as before with Carlos, his mother put it up by the TV. She also showed me some other (unframed) pictures of some of Axel's uncles that she had up on the wall. None of his missing father, though. The house was also the least organized of the three but I suspect that has to do with the fact that they have very little places to put things. Not much in the way of drawers and shelves.
I knew that Granny wanted to play host some more, but we had to get on the road. Also, despite living in an island nation, I'm not all that keen on the taste of fish but I would have had to choke it down and smile if everyone else had started eating the tamales.

No comments: