Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Incorporate your child's life into yours

http://www.amazon.com/Combo-Juego-Oca-Parchis-Medium/dp/B000QBAQQ6/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IT94FXXWDJA8E&colid=3AMQISM32HYCN This is a link to order Parchis.

Just an idea for all of my fellow sponsors... I find that this method draws me closer to my sponsor children AND teaches my biological children about other cultures. Since I homeschool my kids, I have TOTAL control over what they learn. I want them to learn about other cultures, languages, countries, and beliefs. I made them each a pretend passport, and each time we visit a new country, they get to put it in their passport (I will blog about this one my family blog in a few months). So, what can you do in your home?
Idea #1: Ask your sponsor child questions.
Examples: What games do you play with your friends/family (Henry in Colombia told me that he plays Parchis, which is a game I have never heard of)? What is your favorite food? What does your mother cook that you like the best (including getting mom to write up a paragraph about how she makes it)? What music do you listen to? Who is your favorite singer? What sports do you like (usually soccer)... What team is your favorite?
Idea #2: Do something with the info!!!
Games- get the games your child likes & learn to play them... Then, communicate back with your sponsor child what you liked about the game. Not only will you be learning something new, but they will feel like they mean something to you (you really listened to what they said, and then, thought it was cool enough to do yourself!!!)
Food- fix the food making adaptations as needed for a stove in place of fire, etc. Then, tell your s.c. (sponsor child) how delicious it was!!
Music- listen to the music that they told you they like. If you are not familiar with the language, focus on the beat and how the music makes you feel. Once again, give feedback to your s.c. about your experience!!
Sports- when you know who their favorite team is, search for it online. Get as many details as you can about their games recently played & upcoming, and watch a game or two or three. Won't they be surprised that you are cheering for their team!!
These are just a few ideas. Of course, the possibilities are endless!

No comments: