Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Special Needs Gift for Carlos



I just received these pictures and details from Victor. I LOVE to see guys who are excited about sponsorship and helping their sponsor kids!!! Victor, Steve, and Efrain are part of that group of men who are happy to share stories of their kids & eagerly do as much as they can for the children.
Victor sent a monetary gift to Carlos a couple of months ago. This is from the e-mail that Victor sent to me:
I sent Carlos a special needs gift and, as always, placed no restrictions on it. I'm very glad that my extra money has been able to provide Carlos with new clothes, extra food and household improvements, but I always had a bit of regret that he was never able to get anything 'fun' for himself (unless you count hair gel; the kid seems to love that). So I was thrilled to open the latest letter and see that this time he was able to get a bicycle! You might have to be a guy to understand this but for many boys, not counting their mother, their 'first love' is actually their bicycle. Carlos is in a perfect spot to get the most use out of it; his town is on flat ground with mostly decent roads. Having a bike means that he can get to school in about 1/4 the time as walking; he can run errands, tow his little brother around. I didn't see a lot of bikes in his neighborhood, so this probably makes him one of the 'cool kids' if he wasn't one already. I'm probably going on about this a bit much, but people have actually made movies about the love affairs boys have with their bikes (Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, anyone?) so I can't help but feel really happy for him. It's a nice, cool-looking and sturdy bike, too. Much better than the one I had as a boy. I'm jealous!
Of course, the family got some other stuff as well, including, literally, the kitchen sink. Here's the list:
1 Bike
2 Shirts
6 Underwear
1 Pair of Sandals
1 Food Basket
1 Sink
Here is what Carlos himself had to say:
Dear Sponsor
I hope you are doing good along with your family. I am so grateful with you for this special gift that you went me. With this, I bought a bicycle to go to school every day and also one sink for the kitchen and clothes for me. Thank you for being so special with us and thank you for your big heart. I am learning so much at school and I am doing my best. I say good bye to you with love and a very strong hug. Your sponsored child, Carlos.

No comments: