Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pictures & Thank You for Fundraiser #4!!!






The original request that I received from Henry and his family to start an IGP was for a clothing resale business. However, I asked Greg at CI to check into this with the family because it appeared that once they sold the clothing, the IGP would end... It was not a long term plan. Greg sent a memo to the field office to see if there was something the family could do for a long term plan.

The fundraiser was already over by the time I received a response back from the field. We raised $200 for the family to start an IGP. I received the breakdown for their new business idea and found that I was falling short on providing all that they needed. The total was now at over $600, and I had only raised $200. I had to make a decision on what to purchase with the $200 that was already raised, so this is what they received:

1 set of 12 pieces of cutlery $.46

4 plastic tables $21.56

16 plastic chairs $8.

can opener $1.06

1 pitcher $1.61

1 fryer $52.75

1 blender $64.22

1 grater $3.03

1 fan $47.25

Total = $199.97

I will have to do another fundraiser for them for the additional $400, so that they can purchase the following:

several small things, & 3 display cases

The display cases cost a total of $247.71 & tax is $78.75. The rest is for the small things which are litterally a couple of dollars a piece (for example, 4 cups: $.83)

Now, I, also, have to mention that this is an amazing family. They are never asking for hand-outs and are grateful for everything. So, I wasn't so surprised to find out that they requested a loan from a coop to buy the bulk of the business before they requested the other items from me (in response to my request that they send me a list of how I can help). They got a $920 loan in order to set up the business!!!

I am hoping that the things we purchased for them will allow them to start the business now. The small items such as the cups can be bought by the family little by little. Then, the only things they are missing are the display cases... Can they open the restaurant without the cases? That is my hope. Until we can do another fundraiser for them.

This is the letter from Henry:

I hope you and your family are doing well. I received your gift to be used in my mother's fast food business where she is going to sell hot dogs, pizzas, fried plantains, etc. My mother and father are very happy. With this business, we will have extra income at home to supply our needs. I pray that God blesses you and gives you many years filled of health and prosperity. All of us give you thanks for this generous gift for my mother and me. About me, let me tell you that I am doing well at school. I got my best grades in Spanish and Math. My teacher's name is Pilar and my favorite classmate's name is Duvan. We play soccer and fly kites. We, also, play parchis*. My grandfather takes me to church every Sunday. My father is going to help my mother in the business. She will work during the day and my father will work there during the night. I send you a big hug.

Your sponsored child,

Henry

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parch%C3%ADs

No comments: