Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bragging about Mwanza


The staff had him put on both of the shirts that I had included in the package. I think that is a WONDERFUL idea, as it shows me just how well the size I got him fits (so that I know for future reference).



I have received several updates in the past week from the packages that I sent out for Christmas. This is the first one of the batch that I got. I have to brag about Mwanza because I am so proud of him. He was featured on CI's blog with his brothers and sisters. They were living alone (both parents had past away). They were hungry, and they looked completely fatigued (look back at the old photos of Mwanza in the tattered white shirt). http://childreninternational.blogspot.com/2008/05/what-it-means-to-be-alone.html What a difference a year makes!! Mwanza, now 13 years old, just started back to school. I am not sure how many years he had gone without being able to go to school, but I do know that his older sister Mary had to write letters for ALL of the kids including Mwanza. I asked him to TRY to write on his own, and he did. Here is his latest letter above. I think in his face, it shows that he knows I care. I remind him how great he is every time I write to him & how proud I am of him that he takes care of his brothers and sisters & goes to school, too. I can't brag on him enough because I wonder how many of us (if we were in his same situation) would be able to pick ourselves up and keep going the way he has. I truly believe he can conquer anything.
(packages ent 12/22/08, received 1/30/09, delivered to Mwanza 2/11/09, thank you letter received 3/7/09)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

He's completely adorable!