Sunday, March 8, 2009

Meet Barbara's 4th sponsored child Mario!!

Mario lives in Chile.
Here are Barbara's own words:

When, I first started to sponsor children I had only intended to sponsor one. Famous last words! I was now up to three in two years. I had always wanted to visit Easter Island so, due to my increasing age and health limitations, I decided in 2006 that it would have to be now or never. Since my combined sponsor visit and excursion to Guatemala had proved to be so successful I decided to do the same with Chile. However, I did not have a child to visit! That problem was soon solved when in the summer of 2006 I took on the sponsorship of Mario aged five. I fell in love with his busby style hair and cheeky grin.
I noticed immediately from the photos taken with his gift parcels that he curiously examined everything that I sent him. That was a good sign and it proved to be correct because he recently came to the top of his class which made both his family and myself very proud of him.
He lives in a small farming community about an hour's drive from Vina del Mar in a pretty location near a river. Most of the older members of the family work in the fields which gives them seasons of plenty and then nothing. When I visited him in March of 2007 he had only been told of my visit the day before so was not very interested. The rest of the family had gathered in a group outside their house to welcome me but Mario stood defiantly some distance away. When I went upto him and introduced myself and asked for a hug he shook his head. So, I told him that I had come a very long way to see him and had brought a car load of things for him but needed a hug first. That, immediately brought forth a limp lettuce like hug and a run to the car!!! The joy on the faces of all the family members as they each received a gift and Mario and his sister, Xaviera, opened up a suitcase full of gifts as well as a stuffed back pack was a sight to behold.
We also visited a local zoo where Mario was able to see for the first time his favourite animal, the elephant, in the flesh. In his excitement he leaned over a drop between a rock and the fence in order to get closer almost giving me a heart attack!. Now, every time I get a drawing from him it always includes an elephant even two years later.
After lunch in a large shopping mall we did a little extra shopping. After a couple of thank less gifts were bought I asked the CI interpreter to tell the two young children that I was from the old school and if I did not get a thank you there would not be any more gifts (in a nice way of course). Thereafter, it was very sweet that each time they received a gift they chorused in unison their thank-you's. Later, Mario came up alone and thanked me but I wasn't sure what for. He explained it was for the batteries that I had bought for his new fire-truck - bless him!! We next visited an ice-cream parlour where Mario managed to cover his new Canadian outfit with dripping icecream while waiting for the photos to be developed. The last I saw of Mario was his grinning face as he waved good bye from the CI van taking them home.
When I asked him what he had liked best from all the things that I had brought for him he replied the blow-up world globe - so I know that he will go far with his inveterate curiosity.
And here is his bio:
Age: 7 Gender: M Date of Birth: 6/18/2001


Height: 3 Feet 11 Inches Weight: 49 Pounds Hair Color: Brown Eye Color: Brown
2. Health problems, if any: None
3. Attends School: Yes
4. Favorite School Subjects: Art
Favorite Pastimes or Sports: Playing soccer
Chores at Home: Running errands
Talents or Hobbies: Singing, Dancing
Languages Spoken: Spanish

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S FAMILY:
5. Approximate monthly income for the family (in U.S. Dollars): $180.00
6. Name of Father: Julio Age: 49 Occupation: Farmer
(If not present, why?) Separated
7. Name of Mother: Ana Age: 42 Occupation: Homemaker
(If not present, why?)
8. Brothers and Sisters:
Name Javiera Del C. Age 8 Gender F Name Jonathan Age 19 Gender M
Name Katherin Age 17 Gender F Name Luis Age 18 Gender M
9. Child now living with: Parents

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S HOME:
10. Description of Home: One Bedroom, One multi-use room, Kitchen
Cooking Facilities: Portable gas stove
Sleeping Accommodations: Beds
Home Construction: Walls Wood Roof Slate Floor Wood
11. Facilities and Services:
Water Source/Storage: Running water in home
Electricity: Available
Sanitary Facility: Toilet

No comments: