Monday, March 23, 2009

Meet Mack's 3rd Sponsored Child, Mercy!‏

Mack's own words:

I had to choose my third sponsored child carefully, because I'm (currently) limiting myself to three. I had a few important things I was looking for when I sought out my this sponsorship:

  1. I had two sponsored boys already, so I knew I wanted a girl.
  2. I had two older kids already, so I wanted a little one.
  3. I wanted to sponsor in Zambia, because it's a country I'd like to visit someday.

It just so happened that my friend, Heather, was already sponsoring an adorable 7-year-old Zambian girl named Mercy. Heather had also taken on several new children with HIV, so she did not mind the idea of me "adopting" Mercy from her. Thanks, Heather!

I don't know a lot about Mercy yet, as she is too young to write for herself. Her mother reports that her daughter is happy and enjoys showing off the pictures I've sent when she has friends over to the house … just like I show off Mercy's photos to MY friends! I hope as this little girl grows older and continues her schooling (she IS in school, despite what her report says), she will have fun writing me letters and sharing more about herself. In the meantime, people can learn more about Mercy by watching the slide show presentation featuring her that CI shot a few years ago:

( www.children.org Look for the archived slideshows. She is in the Easter slide show from 2008, I believe)
Here is her bio:
Age: 7 Gender: F Date of Birth: 7/7/2001


Height: 3 Feet 7 Inches Weight: 33 Pounds Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Brown
2. Health problems, if any: None
3. Attends School: No - Family lacks money
4. Favorite School Subjects:
Favorite Pastimes or Sports: Drawing, Playing with friends, Playing outdoor games
Chores at Home: Carrying water
Talents or Hobbies: Drawing, Singing
Languages Spoken: Nyanja

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S FAMILY:
5. Approximate monthly income for the family (in U.S. Dollars): $40.00
6. Name of Father: Richard Age: Occupation:
(If not present, why?) Deceased
7. Name of Mother: Musano Age: 26 Occupation: Unemployed
(If not present, why?)
8. Brothers and Sisters:
Name CatherineAge 0Gender FName DerrickAge 5Gender M
9. Child now living with: Mother

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S HOME:
10. Description of Home: One multi-use room, One Bedroom
Cooking Facilities: Coal stove
Sleeping Accommodations: The floor with a mat
Home Construction: Walls Concrete block Roof Corrugated metal Floor Concrete
11. Facilities and Services:
Water Source/Storage: Community faucets
Electricity: Not available
Sanitary Facility: Community latrine

No comments: