Saturday, March 7, 2009

Meet Barbara's 3rd sponsored child Nsenzeni!


This post is about Barbara's 3rd sponsored child. This is what she wrote about her:
I began sponsoring Nsenzeni (nickname Tapiwe) only a few months after Miguel in July, 2005. Lusaka had just been added to C.I's list of countries and, at first, they had difficulty in persuading the local population that strangers actually wanted to help them I wanted a very young child and Nsenzeni was only two years old when I began sponsoring her. I chose her because of her sad face. Later I learned that she had a very good reason to be sad but it is too private to be shared on a blog. She is being brought up by her grandmother, Lontia, with her own family.
After seeing Nsenzeni's sad face I determined to put a smile on it one day soon. Famous last words as it took over three and a half years before I saw the first glimmer of a smile. She didn't even smile when she received the many gift packages though Lontia and the CI staff assured me that she was overjoyed with them. I asked, begged pleaded for a smile all to no avail and she even started to cover her mouth. After being told that she really enjoyed the candy I often included I tried some reverse psychology and made a deal with her - no smile - no more candy!! And this bit of bribery actually worked and now I get a smile in each photo.
At first Lontia was supporting her family with only $29.00 a month. Over the years it went up to $50.00 and only months after I sent a small incentive gift to start her own vegetable vending business it has increased to $70.00. But now she helps Lontia sell the greens, beans and dried fish which is the main staple of the Zambians and seems so much happier.
Nsenzeni is a funny little child. Evidently, she talks about her sponsor to her little friends in the compound. At first she told her grandmother that she was going to take everything that I had sent to her with her when she got married. Then she told her little companions that Barbara was going to buy her a big house with everything in it which dream I had Lontia immediately dampen.
From her earlier photos where she glared at the camera and didn't appear to like anything that I sent her I despaired that she just did not like anything. I was later reassured by Lontia that when her little niece, Leya, was born she helped look after the new baby after practising with the sensitive doll that I had sent her.
Over the years Nsenzeni has benefitted from the medical care provided by C.I. It was found that she had a tapeworm which prevented her from gaining weight and parasites which were immediately treated. The only water available is from the community faucets and community latrine. I recently learned that she has had malaria but is now O.K. but CI will have her checked out by their physician and also for cholera as there is now an outbreak in the neighbourhood. In spite of all the local problems I am optomistic that she will do well in life and hopefully develop the dazzling smile of her strong grand-mother.
Here is the latest letter from Nsenzeni to Barbara:
"Dear Barbara,
I hope you are very find. Back to us we are fine. We missed your letter Barbara. We are always happy when we received a letter from you. Oh you are so special to us Barbara. We want to thanks you for the things that we receive from you and we like them very much. Nsenzeni she was not feeling well. But now she's OKy. She had malaria.
We received everything that you sent for her and I was very Happy for the money you sent for me and I say that thank you vry much for friendship and support you are giving Nsenzeni. Happy Merry Christmas and Happy Year. You are special. May God bless you and your friends. Thank you. Yours Lontia and Nsenzeni."


Here is her bio:
Age: 6 Gender: F Date of Birth: 1/9/2003


Height: 3 Feet 7 Inches Weight: 41 Pounds Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Brown
2. Health problems, if any: None
3. Attends School: Yes
4. Favorite School Subjects: Languages, Grammar
Favorite Pastimes or Sports: Playing with dolls
Chores at Home: Running errands
Talents or Hobbies: Dancing, Singing
Languages Spoken: Nyanja

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S FAMILY:
5. Approximate monthly income for the family (in U.S. Dollars): $70.00
6. Name of Father: Jabulani Age: 33 Occupation:
(If not present, why?) Deceased
7. Name of Mother: Stella Age: 21 Occupation: Unemployed
(If not present, why?)
8. Brothers and Sisters:
Name Leya Age 3 Gender F
9. Child now living with: Relatives

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S HOME:
10. Description of Home: Living Room, One Bedroom
Cooking Facilities: Coal stove
Sleeping Accommodations: Beds
Home Construction: Walls Brick Roof Corrugated metal Floor Concrete
11. Facilities and Services:
Water Source/Storage: Community faucets
Electricity: Not available
Sanitary Facility: Community latrine

No comments: