Monday, December 21, 2009

A Final Plea before Christmas

We are already only a few days away from Christmas! I don't know about you all, but it has been crazy around my house all month long!! Some things that I have been meaning to do have fallen through the cracks somehow. I will have to run out this week and do the last of my Christmas shopping (and I am not a last minute shopping kind of person). It scares me that I won't be able to find the "perfect gift" for the 3 people left on my list!

Oh, the worries we have!

I have been thinking about Dee's children Jose Manuel and Yamileisy these past few days. Mostly because their fundraiser hasn't gotten a single donation. I am trying to internalize exactly how it would feel to be in their shoes.

Until recently, they were using a community latrine! Those are just words, but I want you to think about it for a minute. Have you or your children (if you have any) ever woken up in the middle of the night needing to run to the rest room? Would you feel comfortable having your kids go out to the community latrine at 3AM?

Then, I thought of my husband's grandmother. His grandmother built her own home, and it is quite a piece of work (considering it was done by people who had never built a house before in their lives). However, it is laking a few things. There is one toilet, but when there are 10 people in the house inevitably, you are going to need to go and being waiting impatiently outside the bathroom door for the person inside to finish. Imagine if you have to share a toilet with a whole community!!!

The family finally got the bathroom they needed, thanks to Dee's hard work and determination. That is one less thing to worry about. I am sure the family is very happy to have that!

Their income is only $70. I am not sure how they are able to buy all of the food and other necessities. I imagine there are a lot of necessities that they have to go without.

The family is not asking for a handout. In fact, they didn't ask for any thing. However, Dee saw an extremely poor family and wanted to help them change their situation. When approached by CI about an IGP, the family took us up on it. This business could easily help them double their income.

In the Dominican Republic, unemployment is high, and it is difficult to find and keep a job. This gives them something they can do on their own.

I know this is Christmas week, and every one has a lot going on. This is all I am asking of you...

If everyone could just donate $10, we could make a big dent in this fundraiser. And, I will leave you alone until after Christmas :0)

http://www.firstgiving.com/dominicanfamilyigp

No comments: