Monday, May 10, 2010

So Many Children, Which Will I Choose?


That is a hard question to answer, isn't it? Well, I can't sponsor them all, but I know if I sponsor one, there will be one less child in need. We can all only do so much. How much we can do is an individual decision.

I have noticed that how much I can do or think I can do has changed in the past few years and months. When I first started sponsoring and had 3 sponsored children, that was the max for me. That was 3 years ago.

My income has not increased, but I have noticed that I can make cuts to many unnecessary things in order to help more children. Why not use the money for my own benefit? Well, sponsors know the answer to that one!!! There is a natural feel-good feeling that comes from helping someone else and it can not be gotten from a high-priced meal or new car.

I no longer even try to count how many sponsor children I have because: I know the count will constantly change and the amount of children a person feels they can sponsor is a personal decision.
Since the start of the Child Hope Zambia sponsorship program, people have asked me how many I sponsor in the organization. I know this is a normal curiosity because most of us have wondered for instance how many and who the children are that the Children International employees sponsor. So, I will attempt to answer that question for everyone now.
My first child I chose with Child Hope was child #10- Ashes (I am sure there is an issue with the spelling of his name, so I will learn that shortly). It was easy to chose him because there were only 30 children to choose from at that time. Not such a hard deduction.
I did the math and realized just how little of a monetary requirement it was to sponsor one child with Child Hope, so I took on a second child, a younger one. He is number 160- Tebby above. His eyes kept grabbing me and I finally gave in :o)
In the past few days I have been thinking further on just how many I can sponsor. If I sponsor 7 children, that is only $63 a month or $2.10 per day. Only $2.10 per day takes care of 7 children!! That is really astounding to me. To narrow down my choices, I decided to sponsor one child in every primary grade. I already have 2nd grade (Tebby) and 6th grade (Ashes) covered. I have even put in my choices for 1st and 3rd grade. I am mulling them over now. Then, in January of next year, I will just add on a 1st grader, since they will have all moved up one grade.
If anyone else would like to share why they chose the children they chose, I would love to post it and introduce your child to the group! Just send me an e-mail to macandmic@gmail.com

To sponsor a primary student for only $9 a month and get a Ty beanie baby sent to them, go to the blog and sponsor a child by 5/15/10.

No comments: