Sunday, November 8, 2009

Package for Dulce & Strange Note from the field



I have to preface this post with a small side subject... I have been holding on to pictures & thank you letters from my kids for a few months now. The reason for this is because I have NO working scanner! Then, I had NO money to get them professionally scanned! Finally, I was able to get some scanned today at CVS for $3.99. However, once I got home, I noticed that some pictures were missing from my scan pile- Jonathan's pics, for example were with my other pics, but they missed being scanned :( I know I have gotten pics of Mwanza, too, but can find them no where (this is what happens when you try to scan in a busy store with two young kids running around). Once I get some more pics & thanks yous gathered up, I will be making even more posts. For now, you will see 5 or 6 posts from the pics that have been in my stack for a while.

Now, on to the strangest comment from the field I have ever received:

In July, I sent a small package to Dulce. She received:

1 box of Crayola markers

1 box of Crayola colored pencils

1 pencil sharpener

1 butterfly bubble watch

1 US Maps coloring & activity book

1 blank notebook

1 princess dress-up sticker book

This is what Dulce wrote:

"Hello, Dear Sponsor Heather,

Thanks for (this is where she lists everything she received)... I am doing well in this new school year. After coming from school, I do my housework, and then, I play outside. I go to church on Sunday. I hope you all are fine and healthy. Hugs, Dulce"

Now, this is what was put as additional comments from the field:

"Dulce was very happy but she hardly spoke. She only answered briefly what she was asked by saying yes or moving her head."

Anyone have any idea what that is supposed to mean? Does anyone know how to read body language? Another interesting note is that Dulce's father is deaf, and while she doesn't live with him... Maybe she had just spent a long time with him and then remained in a silent mode... I hope it is not because she was disappointed in the package. I had requested a special needs breakdown for her for one of our fundraisers, but the response back from the field was for items that were more of "wants" than "needs". I have been debating when/if I will do a fundraiser for her because she requested a t.v. and computer. I have other kids that in NEED of a home to live in and food to eat, so t.v.'s are not my priority. Now I am just hoping that she wasn't upset when she got to the center for a small package instead of the t.v. she wanted.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

In my opinion Dulce will just have to get over it if she was disappointed not to receive a T.V. or computer. Just like Miguel did when he wasn't impressed with the desk, bookcase and world globe I bought him. I think the children have no idea of the cost of things and as you say are 'wants and not needs'. Coming from another era I was not able to afford a T.V. until my thirties and even then it was a $210.00 second hand buy and the computer wasn't feasable until decades later. Thinking about real Special Needs is much more important.

Barbara

Kate said...

I'm sure she was happy with her package like the field staff said. Every child shows happiness in a different way. It's such a broad thing to say, but sometimes over shyness can be a sign of something much deeper going on.