Monday, November 16, 2009

Such a pretty Leydi (pronounced "Lady" in English)

I got a letter from Leydi today. Her letters always leave me hoping for more in the next letter. It isn't because they aren't sweet because they are. It is because they are very short (only take up half of a page if I am lucky, and you KNOW how small the CI writing page is anyway!)
I don't believe that she doesn't care to write more, I think it is more of her age, and schooling at this point. Whereas, my Ecuadorian boys write legibly and fill the page (even at the tender age of 8), in the Dominican Republic, my girls have always written differently. The letters are scrawled barely legible (ok, I am exaggerating a little) and very short. I can expect several words to be spelled incorrectly like: "ola" instead of "hola", "estoi" instead of "estoy", "mui" instead of "muy" (you get the idea). I am thinking that maybe spelling isn't a big deal in her class right now.
Leydi is only 8, so maybe once she reaches her teens she will have mastered her letters and writing. For now, I am grateful for what she sends, and even more so that she is healthy and happy!
This is what she wrote:

Hi! How are you? I am very well. I like to play after school. I wish good luck to Jaden and Morgan (I told her that they are doing school at home, so I think she is wishing them luck in their studies). I study English, too (I told her that the girls are learning Spanish). I like to read. I am very happy because I received your letter. A hug and a big kiss to you and your daughters. I close for now and look forward to your letter.
Leydi

No comments: