Monday, November 9, 2009

Tuition Assistance for Brayan & Brandon




I need to preface this post by telling you how I found out that Brayan needed tuition assistance. I had requested a special needs donation break down for Brayan back in June or July because I was concerned. The father had abandoned the family, and left them with no way to provide for the bills, food, etc. The mother is a house wife, and would have to transition to the working world to provide for her boys on her own. Their income was listed as $95 back in March. I am not sure where that figure came from, but their family would be linked income wise with Paola & Tomasa's family. $95 is EXTREMELY low for a family in Mexico!
A little more than two months after my request, I heard back from CI with a break down of their needs. This is a summary of what they told me:

The mother is not working, she is a housewife. She mentioned that she'd like to start a business selling clothes like: underwear, socks, pants, t-shirts, blouses and some imitation jewelry, since she said she used to sell them before and she has some experience.

She said she would sell these articles in her home, she'd put some signs to advertise these articles and inform neighbors and people that she sells clothes. She also would sell them door by door or in little street markets.

What she needs is as follows:

A little cart to transport the clothes and an inventory of items (underwear, t-shirts, socks, pants,

blouses and imitation jewelry ) $468.00 USD

She also expressed that her main needs at this time is to pay for the tuition of her children

(August 24th, 2009 when classes start).

Tuition for both children: $ 32.00 USD

One of the crazy things about this is that I received this breakdown on September 10th, 2009, 18 days after school was supposed to start!! Plus, all of us sponsors know that the money doesn't get to the family instantaneously! It may have been a full month after school started before they received the tuition assistance.

Now, here is the story: When I got the breakdown that included the tuition needs, and saw that it was past due, I had to act fast. I scraped together $32 & called CI to make sure they would be in school ASAP.
Here is the thank you letter I received with these pictures:

Dear Mrs. McLaughlin,
Thank you for the donation you sent me to pay my tuition and with what was left we bought: pencils, erasers, colors, pencil sharpeners, glue, and a box to put the supplies in. In school I am doing well and my teacher wants me to play Christopher Columbus or a sailor. I'm learning math, reading, addition, subtraction, running and playing soccer. Thank you for the help you give me. I send you hugs and kisses and for the girls Jaden and Morgan.
Brayan

No comments: