Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Letter from Kevin in Ecuador

You may remember Kevin from Ecuador. He is a shared child between myself and Mack. We just received our first letter from him. Even though we had written a letter to him (a joint letter explaining that we were both sponsoring him), it appears the two letters crossed each other in the air. His letter is clearly written before knowing that he has two sponsors. It is sweet anyway. This is what it says:
Dear Mrs. McLaughlin
Thanks for having chosen me as your sponsored child! I live in Guayaquil, and I am writing these lines from my beautiful city (these two lines are the standard lines pre-printed on the form they give the child to write on in Guayaquil, Ecuador). Let me tell you that I am studying in 3rd grade (equivalent to 4th basic year in Ecuador). I am doing very well. I like the color blue. My best friend's name is Juan Carlos. My favorite food is rice with chicken. My favorite fruit is apple. My favorite sport to play is soccer and that is what I like the most. I am studious and obedient. I love to obey my mom. I am studying a lot in order to be more prepared. I love painting and I feel very happy. I like to play a lot. I hope that you are doing well. I say good-bye with a lot of affection, love, and a big kiss. Take care of yourself! I love you!
Saying good-bye with affection,
Kevin

(His letter really made me laugh... I just picture one of the volunteers at the center asking him questions, so that he would tell about himself. And the part about how he loves to obey his mom was especially funny- Did he really say that, or was someone telling him to write that?)

No comments: