Sunday, April 18, 2010

Update on Kevin in Ecuador

Stranger things have happened, I guess. Remember the Summer Reading Packages? Well, I got an e-mail from CI about the package that arrived in Guayaquil. They were confused as to why there were so many children involved and they were not my children. I explained the situation, and everything was worked out. A week passed, and I got another e-mail from CI. It was about the 2 packages that I sent: 1 for Jonathan, and one for the child I share with Mack- Kevin. It turns out they read my letters and did not want to give them to the 2 boys because I wrote that there was a possibility that a friend would visit them when they were in Ecuador. So, my letters were rejected and tossed.

Well, I am guessing that they called Kevin and Jonathan to the center at the same time to retrieve their packages because both of their reports were updated on Thursday 4/15/10. My cover may be blown. I guess I will soon find out. Mack's double Guayaquil sponsorship secret is probably safe because I don't think she sent a package to her Katherine at the same time. Oh, well- My cover would be blown eventually anyway whenever someone pays them a visit (Mack is supposed to go next year and Steve is going at the end of this year). Maybe I can save up enough miles to go at the same time Mack does- I have my fingers crossed!

I am not sure where the family's income of $150 comes from since the father is deceased and mother is listed as a "homemaker". I wish these reports would contain that kind of information!

Here is Kevin's report:

Age: 9 Gender: M Date of Birth: 5/17/2000
Height: 4 Feet 1 Inches Weight: 69 Pounds Hair Color: Black Eye Color: Black
2. Attends School: Yes
3. Favorite School Subjects: Mathematics
Favorite Pastimes or Sports: Playing with friends
Chores at Home: Running errands
Talents or Hobbies: Dancing
Languages Spoken: Spanish

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S FAMILY:
4. Approximate monthly income for the family (in U.S. Dollars): $150.00
5. Name of Father: Roberto Age: Occupation:
(If not present, why?) Deceased
6. Name of Mother: Reina Age: 36 Occupation: Homemaker
(If not present, why?)
7. Brothers and Sisters:
Name Jeremy Roberto Age 5 Gender M Name Julexi Age 14 Gender F
Name Roberto Age 1 Gender M
8. Child now living with: Mother

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD'S HOME:
9. Description of Home: One multi-use room, One Bedroom
Cooking Facilities: Gas Stove
Sleeping Accommodations: Wooden beds
Home Construction: Walls Roof Corrugated metal Floor Wood
10. Facilities and Services:
Water Source/Storage: Running water in home
Electricity: Non-regulated usage
Sanitary Facility: Septic tank

2 comments:

Mack said...

Your secret may be safe, because the boys may have come to the community center at different times? At least it's not as bad as my situation where one of my sponsored kid's mother is taking my OTHER sponsored kid to the community center to collect his packages!

It sucks that they threw out your whole letter because of one comment - couldn't they just scratch it out? At least they told you. The rules must differ from place to place, because I've mentioned visits before in my letters. I guess I'd better stop!

You've got more time to collect those miles, because I've decided to wait until 2012 to visit Ecuador, when the trip can be my godson's high school graduation gift.

melinda85 said...

Wow I can't believe they threw your letters away,they could have least took that sentence out or something.

So if Steve is going to visit a child/children that we sponsor,we can't tell the child? Does the staff tell them?

So Mack I guess that Jon and Wilson's families must be pretty close now? ha. I bet those pictures really threw you off! :)