Friday, January 29, 2010

Victor's Trip to Honduras: Chapter 5: Really Greasy





Chapter 5: Really Greasy Chicken and Fries

There was a restaurant right by the pool we were at with plenty of outside seating. Miriam looked at the menu and suggested that the easiest thing to do would be to order the chicken meal for everybody. It was a 1/4 chicken with fries and all the kids liked chicken, so there was no problem. I don't remember what it cost, but it was quite inexpensive and less than what I was expecting. I know it would have cost three times as much (if not more!) to feed a crew of about twenty people in any amusement park in the US. Up to this point, I'd been spreading my attention around between Carlos and Wilmer, but now I had a bit of a dilemma - who's table was I going to sit at? The last time I'd done this, everyone was at one table and I simply had Carlos and Axel on either side of me - this time the families were all at different tables as they were too small for everyone. What I did was to put my stuff down at Carlos' table, but then sit as Wilmer's until the food came and then switched back to Carlos. I also did check in with Axel's family - Wilson was there of course along with Axel's grandmother and two of his sisters. That's when I got all the details of his accident. He had really wanted to come and I'm sure it was even worse for him that all his siblings got to go and he couldn't. I did feel very sorry for him and was even more determined to make it up to him.

The food came and there was quite a lot of it. No chance of anybody going hungry with a box full of fries and a 1/4 chicken. It was quite greasy, but in a GOOD way - you know when grease just tastes good? You know it's killing you, but you just don't care. I still have a few extra pounds from the holidays and I knew that this was not going to help me lose them!

I couldn't eat all of my fries, something that I felt vaguely guilty about. What example would I be setting for the kids if I didn't clean off my plate (or box, if you prefer)? But stuffing myself made no sense, so after finishing the chicken, I ditched the rest.

Miriam said that the kids should not go back into the water after eating. This is, in fact, and old wives tale and one I have encountered numerous times living where I do. Given that we were only there until 3PM, I wasn't going to waste a whole hour waiting for food to digest, but I didn't want to be rude, either. I told her that twenty minutes would be plenty of time and she - a bit reluctantly I think - agreed. We walked around the park for a bit, seeing what all else was there. Wilmer found a land based slide and talked me into going down it with him. It was kid sized, though I could fit. I knew I'd regret it the next day, but I went ahead and indulged him.

4 comments:

Mack said...

I hope Miriam remembers 20 minutes - not an hour - next time we go to the water park! Seriously, could you really get a cramp and drown in a 2-foot deep pool even if you ate the WHOLE chicken?

Mack

Lisa said...

I love reading all about your trip Victor! Mack sorry you didn't get to go, will you beable to reschedule?

Mack said...

Hi, Lisa,

Yes, I am already making plans! But it looks like it probably won't happen until the fall, due to unavailability when using frequent flyer miles.

Zornorph said...

I think she was also worried that someone might get too worked up and puke - that, I suppose, was within the realm of possibility but I was prepared to chance it.