Sunday, January 24, 2010

Your Answer Regarding Pictures of the Goats



I know that HH4H does not usually provide pictures of packages and goats. There are several reasons for this. The first reason is that there is not a staff person with a camera. The volunteer group from the US goes to Haiti twice a year. It is at this time that they take the annual photos of the children. Danda children are the children that are photographed in the fall (usually). Also, it is not a good idea to draw attention to things being given out as it may cause a riot. I don't know about you, but I would rather have my child safe.

I did ask Jamie if there was a way that they would be able to get some pictures of our children with their goats. They are going to Haiti in March. I know pictures mean a lot, especially when you are giving something (to show that the child received it). We are all used to the CI way, and it is hard to think of sending things and not getting a picture. However, you should be able to find out from your child in a letter that they did receive whatever items you sent.

Here is my question to Jamie:

"I forgot where you all are going in March. I am thinking you told me that Danda is in the fall, right? I hope I am wrong. I am planning the goat fundraiser, and I know these sponsors would really like pictures. If you were going to Danda in March, I would ask if you could take pictures of the families with their goats that we bought. Just let me know if it is even possible so that I can let the group know. I know there is no photographer on staff."

Here is Jamie's detailed reply:

"The Danda children are usually updated in the fall but we usually go out there every time we go to Haiti , even if we don’t need to update all the children. There were some in Danda who were absent last time so we need to try to update them this time so their sponsors won’t have to go 2 years without new info. BUT (and that’s a big but – no pun intended!) I can’t ever promise photos of anything. We will do the best we can to get them and if it works out we’ll be happy to do it. But we’re talking about Haiti here and we always have to figure in the unexpected. There’s always the possibility that something could happen and we wouldn’t be able to get out there. Danda is in a very remote area and the road to get out there is extremely rugged. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility that we might not be able to get out there on that road. Even if we do get out there, there’s always the possibility that the families (or some of the families) might not show up with their goats. Again, we can try to make the necessary arrangements but we’re not entirely in control over what happens on the Haitian end of things. Pastor Elima is very understanding and cooperative but I can’t guarantee that all the families would be there. So the best I can promise is that we will make the appropriate arrangements and if Pastor Elima can communicate with the families and get them to come with their goats, we’ll photograph whoever is there. Sound fair?"

I then, asked if we could have it where the goats were distributed when the staff goes in March. I mentioned asking the families to come to the church, and then, the goats could be distributed there & photographed. This was her answer:

"I have no idea how the goats are normally distributed to the families. Pastor Elima did not give us that information. But I’m not sure having them all come and get them when we’re there would be the appropriate thing to do. It’s usually not a good idea for Americans to be seen giving out anything so we try not to get involved when things are distributed. (And it’s never a good idea to draw attention to something being given out when you’re in Haiti . It’s actually a good way to start a riot.) We’d rather have the people actually receive things from their pastors even though they know that he is just passing along a gift from someone else. We do not want to take away from his role as the person people go to for help even though they know he’s actually receiving the help from us and that we’re actually receiving it from someone else. Does that make sense?"

I know it is hard for us to imagine how it must be in Haiti, and fully understand these issues. I do recommend that if you like to read, pick up the book I mentioned earlier. "On That Day Everyone Ate" is an eye-opening look into Haitian life, and how it contrasts with ours.

There are still Danda children in need of sponsors, and any of them can be included in the fundraiser for a goat. I hope that the wish for photos and possibly not getting them won't deter you from helping a family who has so little.

1 comment:

Shay said...

Thank you for this information, Heather. It is very helpful. God bless.