Thursday, January 14, 2010

What is going on at Make a Change?

Today I decided to break down and tell every one a few of the things that are coming up and some things that are already going on at Make a Change. This is very important, especially for those who do not follow the group regularly. There are so many things going on at one time, it can be hard to keep up.

For those of you who do keep track of the group, you have seen a lot happen in less than a year's time. I am sure it will surprise you to know that what you see is only the tip of the iceberg!! Here is a list of things that are going on/are in the process of being started:

1. The fundraisers have been a huge success. As you can see by the posts, we have helped many families and continue to help more and more. Numerically, we are on fundraiser #19, but we have had emergency fundraisers and an A&B fundraiser that make us over the #20 spot in fundraiser completion. The exciting part is getting the pictures and thank yous back from the field. When you get a chance, take a look at the complete projects page of the web-site. I would like you to take a close look at the faces of the children and their parents. Pause for a minute & really look at them. Then, try to put yourself in their shoes and imagine just how they might be feeling. It is truly AMAZING!

2. The summer reading packages are in full swing. A package is going to almost every community center that CI services. In each package, there are smaller packages for each child whose sponsor wants to participate. I would say an average would be about 10 children will be serviced by one package (as more sponsors begin to participate). That means that as the packages arrive to their destinations some time in the spring, they will be given to those children they are destined for... And, THEN, by summer we will have lots of photos & thank yous from some very happy children. Each sponsor will get their own pictures & letters, so it will be up to the sponsor to forward the correspondence to me to be shared with the group. I have a feeling I will have to post more come summertime! (right now I only post 2 times a day). To participate, and send your sponsor child items, check out the web-store. Any excess funds made from the purchase of the items in the web store goes directly to our fundraisers!!

3. We have done a reading program for CUS in Uganda as well. Two large priority boxes full of books were sent last year (over 100 books were sent!). One of the big boxes has already arrived along with a package full of bead bracelets & necklaces. These bix boxes of gifts will be given to the children when they return to school in February.

4. Shortly, I will be providing some information on how you will be able to help in a mass IGP (income-generating project). I am gathering information now on setting up several women with a group business. The business will provide these women with the life skills they need to survive & take care of their families. They will receive training in a craft, and will participate full time in the business. The products they produce will be brought here to the US & sold. Once sold, the money will be divided with the group of business women- We will have constant feedback & pictures. I will tell you about the women, and we will get to see first hand the items they are making. Then, we will make the business happen for them, and watch their lives transform!!!

5. Some of you have been following this group long enough to remember what I said about 1 year ago. It would be great to have a group of volunteers to go out to these poor communities & help (hands-on!!!) Some of you expresses interest in this as well. The good news is that despite the nay-sayers (which, by the way you can always find one if you are looking for them), I will soon have more information on this aspect of the group. I will be speaking with a representative of an organization I have worked with in the past. I am supposed to catch up with him next week, since he is presently in the Dominican Republic. I will be speaking with him about how we can get our sponsor children's communities in to their projects & how we can participate. The realization of the dream will probably not happen until 2011, as it will take a lot of time to plan. BUT, it is great news all the same!!

Those are the 5 bullet points I wanted to get out there, so that you all will know what is going on. It is much more than you see (as you can tell), and I try not to think about it all at once- It is really overwhelming what all we have the potential of doing. It is the purpose of the group- Make a Change is about making an everlasting change in people's lives and the world. The group is not about me- It is all of you making a difference together!!

This has turned into a full-time job for me, though I don't get paid to do it. I do it because it is exciting to see the difference it makes, and I would hope that someone would do the same for me if the roles were reversed. I do many things behind the scenes to get the projects completed, and I can always use some help (no matter how small). I will have some ideas for those who wish to help coming up this afternoon... So, stay tuned!

No comments: