Sunday, February 28, 2010

Playathon to raise money for Haiti's orphans 2/27/10









The playathon took place yesterday. It was a big deal getting everything ready- making space in the house, preparing the games (who knew they would all have to be put together), and helping the girls request donations for SOS.

I will start with the disappointing part... There were 31 children signed up to attend last month. I thought I would maybe be able to get even more children than that before the event was going to take place. Unfortunately, it was the opposite. One family who had planned to come was hit with planning a last minute wedding, so their kids couldn't attend. Another family has been battling a stomach virus, so they had to back out. Then, others that had planned to come and never said any different just didn't show up! Pretty disappointing, especially considering all of the time I put into it.

We went from having 31 children scheduled to attend to having only 7 show up (including MY 2!). My mother came, and 2 mothers of the other children. Most of the adults played the games right along with the children to help entertain them. Don't get me wrong, the games were fun, and the kids enjoyed each other's company... However, I felt bad that there weren't as many people as we had planned, and not much in way of donations. I guess I had set my expectations too high.

Jaden & Morgan raised a total of $47.50. They sent "thank you" e-mails out to their sponsors: Alice, Barbara, Chrystal, & Tamara. Thank you, ladies! Two people are still sending their donations in. Once I get the donations for those 2 people, I will send a check out to SOS. The money will be added in with the money that other playathons raise nationwide to purchase temporary shelters for the orphans in Haiti.

No comments: