Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sibling Sponsorship


Check out this sweet family! After making my ultimatum last year of absolutely no more sponsor children can be added to my family, I found the little boy in the red shirt. I was drawn to him because is first name is my youngest brother's name (Kevin) & his middle name is my oldest brother's name (Bryan). When I saw that he was living with relatives (like most of my children), I was even more drawn to him.

There is something about children who have lost their parents either through death or abandonment that makes me extra sensitive to them. Maybe it is because my father died when I was 9, and I know how heartbreaking it is. My history makes me able to offer some words of comfort and coping based on my experience.

So, I saw Kevin's picture & small bio on the CI web-site, but I just could not push the "sponsor me" button. As much as I wanted to help, I didn't know how I would manage another $22 a month. When times are tough, and I am not sure what to do, I go to Mack for my sponsorship questions/dilemmas. I told her about Kevin. Then, she went to search for him on the site. She said he couldn't find him, but was willing to co-sponsor him with me, if I was interested. When she said she couldn't find him on the web-site, I went into panic mode... Had someone already taken him? (I know some of you can relate to this) I flew to my computer to look for him. Whew! He was still there, but that panic was enough to make me click "sponsor me".

Once I got his family report, it was disturbing. His father had recently passed away. His mother had abandoned the children with relatives, and one of the children was a tiny infant! I was so glad started sponsoring him (and Mack was, too). We have now been sponsoring him for about 7 months. I requested a family picture, and the mother turned up for the photo! I am not sure where she had gone, but she is back supporting her family now. :o)

I am now in receipt of updated news. Kevin is the only child sponsored in his family. Obviously the baby is too young to have a sponsor, but the other two would benefit immensely from this bond! Especially, since they lost their father! Julexi s 14, and Jeremy is 5. The whole family is new to sponsorship. When Mack & I started sponsoring Kevin, he had only recently joined the program (which would mean that Jeremy has been waiting for a sponsor now for about 8 or 9 months).

Please spread the word about this family, and let me know if any of you are interested in sponsoring Julexi or Jeremy. Mack & I would love to share this family with you!! (for those who pay attention to location, this family lives in Guayaquil, Ecuador)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Errrrr I really wish I could. What a little doll Jeremy is!

Sara S said...

If Julexi is still available for sponsorship when my roommate finds a new job I will sponsor her. I don't know how long from now that will be, so if someone else has the resources now and wants to sponsor her I won't be at all offended. Happy Wednesday all! - Sara

Mack said...

A bonus to sponsoring Julexi or Jeremy is that Heather and I are going to visit the family some time in the next couple years. Woo-hoo, free pictures!!!