Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Malaria, How do you feel when you have it?


Have you been to CI's homepage lately? They have a VERY timely article under "latest feature" about malaria. If you have been following this blog, you know that our MIC group partner Hellen was hit with a horrible bout of malaria. She had been battling it for a few weeks when she collapsed in town and was rushed to the hospital. She is recovering, but still VERY weak. Her family is caring for her as she stay in bed and off of her feet. Please keep her in your prayers!

Here is CI's article from their homepage called "Battling the Bug" written by Garrett Kenyon:

A staff member of Children International-Zambia wages the fight of her life.

Malaria is the number one cause of death in Zambia and a leading killer across Africa. In the spring issue of Journeys, we present a story about malaria and a sponsored child who battled the disease and won. As we were doing the preliminary work on this story, our communications coordinator came down with malaria. Once she had regained her strength, we asked her to answer some questions about her experience with this deadly infection.

When did you first realize you had contracted malaria?

I had been down with a flu for four days when I realized that I wasn’t getting any better at all. I began to get very frightened. I was beginning to convince myself that I had contracted the swine flu, but I wasn’t sure how that could have happened. From where could I have gotten swine flu? Little did I know, I was dead wrong. I had malaria.

What did it feel like?

I can’t imagine anything else that could cause a pounding headache like that. It felt like someone was hammering on my nerves with a steel hammer. I could hardly get out of bed because my vision was blurred and my eyes could not stand bright light.

I was experiencing chills that shook me despite the hot African weather with temperatures as high as 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). I covered myself with two very thick quilts, but it was no good – an hour later I would feel so hot that I would begin to sweat profusely.

I got very dehydrated, my mouth was constantly dry and I remember drinking almost five litres of water a day. I would wake up countless times each night to drink more water. Every muscle in my body was aching.

Were you able to eat anything?

No. I would vomit just at the sight of food, and my mouth was so bitter that I couldn’t even taste anything I tried to eat. I vomited so much that I was left with nothing. This continued to an extent that I almost vomited bile. As a result of being sick so much, my esophagus became raw and painful.

You must have been afraid.

At that stage, I realized that I would not survive if I didn’t seek medical attention immediately. I summoned all my strength and managed to get myself to the nearest hospital where I was diagnosed with malaria and immediately admitted. I vaguely recall the nurse telling me she was going to give me an injection to relieve the pain. Then I was given Coartem, the malaria drug.

Three days later I was on the road to recovery, although I still couldn’t taste anything. My appetite was very bad. All I could keep down were fluids.

How long did it take you to make a full recovery?

When I was discharged from the hospital, I was still so weak that it took me another five days to gain my strength back.

Now that it’s all over, how do you feel?

Having malaria was the weakest point of my life. I was hopeless and out of control of my own body. Now that I have fully recovered and am strong again, I realize just how lucky I really am to be alive. I feel sorry for the people who are unable to afford to see a doctor when they have malaria. That’s why I’m so glad we provide treatment for sponsored children who become infected.

No comments: