Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mario in Chile








These are the latest photos of Mario taken upon receipt of his Saint Valentine's day DP and before the tragic earthquake. It is surprising that he still looks so happy after what he has been through over the last few months.

For the information of any new blog readers first of all Mario, his mother and older sister, Javiera had to leave the family home due to domestic violence taking with them only the things that I had bought for them in the past. They were fortunate enough to find a temporary refuge in a church facility. Even luckier that Steve and other anonymous sponsors provided funds to provide a necessary mattress, a chest of drawers and wardrobe for their clothes and possessions.

Just recently, they had to move to a rental accommodation which leaves them only $40.00 a month to live on. Though the mother was offered an IGP or job training she refused possibly due to lack of confidence after years of abuse.

And, now, like thousands of other Chileans they are going through the fear and uncertainty left after the massive earthquake. So far, I haven't received any news to say if they were affected in their new rental accommodation. One can only wait and hope that they still have a roof over their heads. In spite of everything Mario has been through he is doing extremely well at school as can be seen from his latest letter. Rather than send any frivolous gifts this time I sent mostly school supplies as requested by his mother due to their lack of financial income. You can also see that Mario is still able to ham it up for the camera and both he and his sister, Javiera, are wearing the bracelets made by Heather.

Dear Madrina Barbara

I hope this letter finds you keeping healthy. Thank you for all the presents you sent me: sweatshirt, bracelets, band aids, wooden elephant pencil holder, mini-stapler, pens, pencils, eraser, exercise book, dictionary, and maths set.

Madrina, I am fine and healthy. I am on Spring break and it is too hot here because we are in summer. I want to tell you that I was promoted to 3rd grade with 6.8 (A), only two points under the maximum mark which is 7.00 (A+).

Greetings

Mario

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Awwwww he does look so happy! I love these posts about the packages!

Shay said...

Very nice photos. I hope that he and his family are okay. I haven't heard about my little boy, Patricio. God bless.

Barbara said...

I also hope that Patricio and all other CI sponsored children are safe and have a roof over their heads.