Monday, March 22, 2010

Introducing Proscovia (Prossy for short) Nalubombwe


A post by Barbara:

Just before Christmas I began sponsoring a three year old street child called Precious. Once sponsored she was due to start baby class in February. Unfortunately, the lure of their homeland in the north is so strong that even destitute families make the trek back at holiday time but then cannot afford to return. This appeared to be the case with little Precious who still has not returned.

Taking Heather's advice I decided to sponsor another child instead who would be more likely to remain at the CUS school. The problem was that I had already bought things for Precious even a necklace with the letter P. Looking for a child of a similar age I had an Ah Ha moment and asked Kate if Brian Kasumba's little sister had a sponsor. Since Macky sponsored Brian I figured that we could help the family more together since the mother has four children to support as outlined in previous postings.

Fortunately, Prossy's former sponsor was not able to sponsor her this year so I became her new sponsor - and the necklace is now hers!!!

According to Kate - Prossy was an adorable little girl. The photo I took of her where she is looking into the camera is one of my favourite photos of all the children. She was shy but warmed up to me very quickly and soaked up any attention given to her. I noticed Prossy was also very mature for her age (about 6), she didn't have to be told twice to do something and was very respectful.

For example, the little children would come and shake our hands or give us a hug, while the older girls would come up and go on their knees to greet us. Prossy did exactly like the older girls. She also helped care for babies by carrying them on her back or helping feed them. When we went to Didi's World (an amusement park outing) she was just so excited. She squeezed my hand and whispered to me "Auntie, I am so happy now." That moment prompted me to take her photo where she's waking up the stairs to go on her first ride. [If you look closely you can even see Kate reflected in Prossy's shining eyes!!]

So, now it will be my turn to spoil Prossy and hopefully make her as happy as she was on that day.

No comments: